Frequestly Asked Questions (FAQs)


The Institute of Structural Engineers has a number of useful articles for domestic clients. Click on the titles below to view the full article.

Handy Tips:

Planning a home improvement?

Worried about damage to your house?

We are developing a list of FAQs for our domestic clients. If you have a generic non-urgent question you'd like included please send it through to for our consideration.

Useful Links

If you're planning a home project, the IStructE has some useful advice for potential clients.

If you're planning a loft conversion, the IStructE has produced a document about when to talk to a Structural Engineer and how they can improve your project.

As a client who has construction work carried out, whether it is on your home or business, you have legal responsibilities under the Construction (Design and Management) Regulations 2015. This HSE website explains everything you need to know.

If you want to carry out any building work near or on your shared property boundary, or ‘party wall’, in England and Wales you will need to notify your neighbours. More information is available at this government website


Structural Safety Warnings

CROSS UK (Confidential Reporting on Structural Safety) periodically issue warnings on items that are of concern to the wider community. We have noted below recent alerts which may be of concern to the general householder with a link to the full report.


Who should read this?
Owners of residential and other buildings with balconies, Local Authorities,  Building Control bodies, developers, building surveyors, architects, structural engineers, facilities managers and maintenance organisations. Contractors engaged in constructing buildings with balconies or in repairing or refurbishing such buildings. Fire and Rescue Services.